What's Your Level of Political Acumen?



Cheryl’s Perspective:
Political Acumen is a significant portion of my work environment.  It is very important to be able to address people, knowing their sensitivities and their passions.  In my career, I practice trying to learn about people before I present to them and know what items are going to upset them or what will intrigue their interest and spark involvement.   This tact is specifically useful as you are trying to direct and influence large change. 

As an employee in the Comptroller Office, I am working hard to prepare our organization for audit.  In trying to reach a favorable audit finding, I have to review long establishes business practices and determine if they are audit acceptable.  In some cases, we need to change our business decisions.  This is a hard change.  Before I present my ideas for changes, I try to assess the people I will address in the audience and their business habits.  This helps me know who will respond more challenging to the changes being proposed.

No comments: